|26-June-2016, Alappuzha, Kerala, India:-
NCHRO Kerala Chapter hosted a seminar to commemorate International Anti Torture Day. The seminar that was hosted at Raiban Auditorium, Alappuzha,Kerala aimed to raise awareness that "TORTURE IN ANY FORM IS A CRIME. PREVENT TORTURE"
The seminar gathered representatives and members of various sections of society. Dr. Maya S. Assistant Professor, Dept. of Philosophy Keralavarma College Thrissur, Reny Ayline, National Secratary of NCHRO,
Rupesh kumar, the documentary filmmaker of documentaries like ( "Underworld Memories of Untouchables". "Love stories in Black Letters", "Twinkle Twinkle Little , "3D Stereo Caste" etc. ), Vilayodi Shivankuuty, President - NCHRO Kerala Chapter, Activist Siraj and Shanawas State Secratary were took part in the discussions.
Speakers focused on several aspects that need to be improved while fighting against torture such as :-
· Legal services and rehabilitation for victims of torture.
· Advocating public to report all cases of torture witnessed to the nearest Police or Human Rights Commission or any other relevant institution recognized under the law.
· Proper Investigation and punish culprits on arbitrary arrest, detention, torture and killing of human rights defenders.
· Better application of criminal laws, prosecution of perpetrators.
· Law enforcement agencies has to carry out their duties in strict conformity with provisions of the Constitution of India and in accordance with human rights standards.
The Seminar also discussed strengthening the fight against torture and impunity in our Country including Prevention, Accountability, Remedy and Reparation.
The seminar concluded by urging the civil society’s active involvement to stand against torture.