New Delhi, Oct 19 (IANS) More than 13 years have passed but the ten accused in Delhi’s Lajpat Nagar blast of 1996 are still waiting for justice and have now written letters to the home ministry and the Chief Justice of India seeking a speedy trial. “We have been trying to reach everywhere to get ourselves heard, but so far our repeated requests have fallen on deaf ears. We have moved the Delhi High Court several times to seek a speedy trial for speedy justice,” reads the letter written by one of the accused to the home minister.
The high court had on Oct 1, 2003, issued direction to the trial court to conduct the trial on a day-to-day basis and conclude it within six months. The court had again, on Oct 6, 2006, sought the trial to be wrapped up in a month’s time as it has been pending for over 10 years. Another reminder came on July 4, 2008, when the high court directed the judge to hear arguments daily and conclude the case within 30 days.
“One and a half years have already passed since the last high court order but it seems that the trial courts are having no regard for the superior court,” said the letter of Mohammed Ali Bhat, one of the accused. “Till date, the case has been heard by a number of judges of lower court. And the arguments were carried on day to day basis. We have also been produced before the court over 50 to 60 times,” he said, adding the arguments will commence Oct 22 and 23.
Ten people, including a woman, all hailing from Jammu and Kashmir, are on trial for allegedly carrying out the blast in the crowded Central Market in Lajpat Nagar on the evening of May 2, 1996, in which 13 people were killed, 39 injured and 14 buildings destroyed.
The court, which recently wrapped up recording of statements of five more witnesses, has already concluded hearing the final arguments in the case.